Happy St. Patrick's Day! My mind was on green clovers all weekend long, so I am obviously wearing a pretty green dress today. No getting pinched here.
I have been trying to get my hands on General Mill's Special Edition of Lucky Charms with only green clovers since last year. They only come out once a year! And I completely struck out last year so upon fearing the same fate this year, I sent a message to Lucky Charms directly to ask what store I could find them in. And they answered me! But even cooler yet, they mailed me a box of Lucky Charms goodies. Yay swag! Bet you can't wait to see me in my Lucky Charms shirt.
I set to work on Saturday morning, sorting out the bright green clover marshmallows.
And eating cereal too... there was some of that.
And then I stuck them in some chocolate cookies. And then took them on a hike on Sunday. 8 miles means all the cookies you can eat, right?
Lucky Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 30, bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup green clover marshmallows
1/3 cup green clover marshmallows reserved
1. Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs, one by one and scrape down the side of the bowl if necessary. Add vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. (Whisk together by hand to fully combine ingredients.)
4. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture 1/2 cup at a time, with the mixer on low. Stop mixer when fully incorporated.
5. Fold in white chocolate chips.
6. Hold in 1/2 cup green clovers.
7. Chill dough for at least 60 minutes in refrigerator.
8. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop out dough onto cookie tray lined with parchment paper.
9. Add additional 2-4 green clovers on top of the dough before baking.
10. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes at 350*. Cookies are done when tops are thoroughly baked, and no longer sticky when touched.
11. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
These have been taste tested to be delicious. By me. You are welcome. They are super chocolatey, dense in flavor but really light in texture. It's almost like biting into a brownie cookie!
One of the most amazing things about these cookies are the clover marshmallows. In the cereal, like the regular Lucky Charms marshmallows, they are hard. Once baked however, they puff up and turn into soft marshmallows! So cute and yummy.
Enjoy the rest of your St. Patrick's Day! Hopefully no one went too hard on the green beer this weekend and their morning is fairing well. I went on that St. Patrick's Day hike on Sunday (green shamrock on the top of Mission peak!) and went way too hard on my knees so I'm not fairing terribly well. But it's only Monday, and with any luck this gorgeous California weather we have been having will allow me to continue spending March wearing shorts, exploring the outdoors and eating half a pint of ice cream on my weekends.