Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chocolate Covered Orange Madeleines (Go Giants!)


What on earth, you may ask, does an orange and the (2010 World Series Champs, holla) San Francisco Giants have to do with my little baking blog?

Everything, of course.  Because I baked orange madeleines (in flavor and in color) and then dipped them in chocolate ganache.  Orange and Black!  Just like my team's colors. And then I took them with me to our annual tail gating event.  (Bay Bridge Series; Oakland A's vs the SF Giants.  The stadiums are less than 20 miles away from each other and the rivalry gets fierce with so many fans on either side!  It's a summer highlight for me because I love baseball almost as much as I love my awesome friends.)

I'd source the madeleine recipe for you all if I could.  But I seriously got it off the back of my madeleine pan's cardboard wrapping when I first bought it.  

Orange Madeleines
Bake at 350* for 8 minutes. Makes 16. 


2/3 c flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 teaspoon shredded orange peel
1 cup powdered sugar
(optional orange gel food coloring)
Directions:
1. Sift flour and baking powder and set aside.
2. Beat eggs, orange peel and extract on high for 5 minutes.
3.Gradually beat in sugar for another five minutes/until thick.
4. Fold in flour.  Add food coloring if desired.
5. Fold in butter and mix until smooth.
6. Fill your Madeleine pan(s) and bake until edges start to lift.  Remove from pan and let cool on wire racks.


They came out, super orangey.  Yay!

Then the fun part.  Dipping them in chocolate. I used the same recipe for the ganache that I did for my raspberry double-decker cupcakes cuz it's totally delicious. 


By the way, every time that I unwrap a Ghirardelli baking bar and see the gold foil underneath I get excited.  It's like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the golden ticket.  Cuz you win amazing things in your tummy everyyyy time.

Chocolate Ganache
3 oz heavy cream
3 oz good quality dark cocoa chocolate

Directions:
1. Bring heavy cream to a simmer in sauce pan.
2. Pour over chopped chocolate (or chips) in a heat proof bowl and whisk until smooth.


Get your cookies ready!  

Cuz now you just take your cooled cookie and dip half of it in the bowl.  Bonus points if your nails are awesome like mine.  A little smudgey, but awesome.


Place on wax paper or rack and let harden.  Refrigerate if necessary.  


You should note that my bowl is huge because I doubled the recipe you see above.  Like a dumbass. (More like I didn't reduce the original. Bad idea.)  I HAD SO MUCH GANACHE LEFT OVER lololol.  (I ended up using it all though.  I'll show you how next week!)  

Awesome way to show off my love for my team, right?  The flavors were awesome together too.  Orange + Chocolate = Nom. Need to make that into a cupcake at some point.  Maybe when we win the 2012 World Series?  ;)



Let me add just one more little thing though.... Better right?  Gotta rep' them all the way! 





Though I would like to point out that I love themes in general, so I did also make green and yellow drunk gummy bears (rummy gummies!) in honor of the A's.  Yup.  Gummi bears soaking in rum for a week.  Don't you want to tail gate with me?  'Till next year crappy A's stadium!  

xoxo,
Anna

P.S.  Yes, Gigantes is Giants in Spanish. 

2 comments:

  1. how much is 3oz of heavy cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 oz = 1 cup
      4 oz = 1/2 cup

      So its a little less than 1/2 cup of heavy cream.

      Delete