Monday, March 18, 2013

Banana Chocolate Butterscotch Muffins


Muffins might very well be just ugly cupcakes, but that didn't stop one of my kickboxing instructors from eating three of these things.  To be exact, he ate all three about 18 inches from my face, washing them down with a cup of coffee while somehow managing to add more weight to my machine, spitting out (muffin crumbles) instructions on proper form.

Seriously, that happened.  Couldn't have made that up if I had tried.

The real reason I made these muffins was not to feed my instructor though, it was because I had three bananas staring at me from the counter that I had avoided eating all week long.  I bought a prettier bunch before I finished the first and they looked much more appetizing.  This meant that the poor bananas over ripened before my eyes each day.  I had to do something with the sad fruit, so when I spotted this recipe on my bff (pinterset ) well I knew I had something to work with!


Banana Chocolate Butterscotch Muffins
Makes 18, bake at 350* for 15-18 minutes.  

2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 c. chocolate chips
2/3 c. butterscotch chips



Directions:
1. In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
2. In your stand mixer on low, mix mashed bananas, granulated sugar and  brown sugar. Beat in egg, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
3. Add  flour mixture into the banana mixture slowly, 1/2 a cup at a time.  Beat until smooth
4. Scoop batter into pre-lined muffin pan, until 1/3 full.
5. Melt chocolate chips in microwave oven, and while still in liquid form add 1/2 tablespoon to the batter and swirl with a toothpick.  Repeat for all muffins.
6. Scoop more batter into the muffin cavities, this time until 2/3 full.
7. Melt butterscotch chips in microwave oven and while still in liquid form add 1/2 tablespoon to the top of the batter and swirl in with a toothpick.  Repeat for all muffins.
8.  Bake in pre-heated oven until edges start to brown .

I made a few changes here and there, taking out the nuts (surprising, I know) and of course using butterscotch and chocolate chips.



I used butterscotch and chocolate chips on another project a few weeks back and fell in love with the combination.  You will see it again from me, trust me.  But isn't the swirl in the middle lovely and unexpected?

These are NOT overwhelmingly sweet.  The banana flavor comes through right away, too.  They are admittedly not the prettiest thing I have made, but at just under 200 calories a serving, they are not a bad way to start your morning at all.  Plus they come together really quickly and easily.  And if you want more chocolate, add 1 tablespoon instead 1/2 a tablespoon to the batter. Feel free to add the chocolate on top if you'd prefer to see the chocolate swirls there rather than in the middle.  The butterscotch color gets a little lost in these, especially at the top but trust me you can taste it!



I packaged the rest of these up in brown paper bags and gave them out to a few friends.  One advantage to muffins over cupcakes?  Portability.  No worrying about messing up the frosting here!

xoxo,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment