Thursday, November 29, 2012
Lemon Curd Filled Blackberry Cupcakes
I almost forgot to post about these! The holiday baking and planning has consumed all other thoughts. Surprising though, seeing as how I was SO obsessed with how the color on these cupcakes came out. Obsessed. They are such a rich, deep shade of purple/blue that you'd be SURE that there was food coloring involved in the batter. I mean the batter looks dyed right?
But I assure you that there was none. Just perfectly ripe blackberries that made perfectly plump cupcakes.
That were immediately cored.
And filled with yummyness. Oh, and the contrast between the blue of the berries and the yellow of the lemon curd? So pretty.
These were part of the dessert table I blogged about two weeks ago. Because of the unique color, people actually thought they were chocolate unless they took the time to read the signs. (The adorable signs made my pandippo that you can still download here.)
I used purple polka dotted liners to match the theme and they were placed on top of bright blue jelly bellys.
The recipe I used was a modification of the Lemon Blueberry cupcakes that I made a few months ago. Birthday Girl had gotten to eat those, and requested the same for her party. Unfortunately, blueberries are out of season and were nowhere to be found. So I made do. Although similar, the taste of the two is very distinct. Give them both a try, I say. :)
1 conatiner washed blackberries
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons water
1. Take blackberries and place them in a saucepan with sugar and water over medium heat.
2. Stir blackberries occasionally to prevent from sticking to pan, with a potato masher, mash berries until mixture starts becoming a sauce.
3. Puree blueberries in blender.
4. Strain to remove large pieces and set aside to cool.
makes 12, bake at 375* for 18 minutes
3/4 c flour
3/4 c sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup blackberry sauce
1.5/4 c buttermilk
1. Beat together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a stand mixer.
2. In a separate bowl combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a third bowl or cup combine sauce and buttermilk.
4. Add flour mixture and sauce mixture to the butter/eggs mixture in five additions, alternating between the two, starting and ending with flour.
5. Scoop batter into your muffin pan and bake.
6. Core cupcakes and fill with lemon curd (see below)
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter
1 cream cheese brick
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy and smooth.
2. Add lemon zest.
3. Add 1/2 a tablespoon lemon juice. Add 1/2 a cup powdered sugar. Alternate the two until you get the desired consistency and flavor.
Lemon Curd recipe can be found in this post here.