Sunday, August 7, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes



These were on my to bake list, and I got to cross them off! And add them to list of ones i'd bake again. And i will... in four days. (Spoiled Pam, they're for her birthday weekend but i wanted to bake them beforehand to make sure that they were edible.)

I figured if I liked the cookies, then surely i'd like the cupcakes right? Turns out, I like the cupcakes more than the cookies! :) Also, i've done an informal survey that has found that boys like snicker doodles. So these cupcakes should surely catch me that husband right?

I got the basic recipe here. I halved it, and made a few changes. I was also baking another batch of experimental cupcakes as well, so i tried to reuse some ingredients. I don't think that i like baking half batches, especially frosting. It makes it somewhat harder to mix.


Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
(Baked for 15 minutes at 350*, made 16)

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cake flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar powder
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cups buttermilk

1. Sift together cake flours, all purpose flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, salt & cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.

2. Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.

3. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with additions of buttermilk, beating until combined after each addition.

I love,love, loved the look of the batter. Maybe that makes me a nerd, but i love the way the cinnamon flecks look. :) It's pretty.

It was a good consistency and scooped well into the liners.



Snickerdoodle Frosting
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 a standard package)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 table spoon brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon vanilla

1. With a hand mixer, blend together the butter and cream cheese.
2. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
3. Add powdered sugar. (This should be to taste. I try to use as little as possible, since there's so much sugar already, but if you need to add more in order to stabilize it then so be it!)

This tasted so yummy. >.< I love cream cheese! Forever and ever, the end.

I frosted them with the standard 1M tip.


Topping
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Mix together the two ingredients.
2. Sprinkle on top of cupcakes.

Don't add too much though! Just enough to make them pretty like their cookie counterparts.

There are still two cupcakes left in the fridge. I can't decide whether to bring them into work tomorrow (which at that point they will be 3 day old cupcakes lol) or if to just eat them myself. But i guess since i will have more of these in a few days, i should be nice and feed others.

Oh and if you're wondering -- YES they totally do taste like the cookies.

xoxo,
Anna


Edit//  Here's a few extra pretty pictures of the second batch i made the following week.  Much better pictures when i'm not behind the camera! 





bottom photos by pandippo

No comments:

Post a Comment