Monday, August 2, 2010

Scooby Snacks S'mores Cupcakes


My friends throw theme parties. A lot. My friends do awesome things. A lot. So every now and then when i post awesome stories, don't be surprised. Like today's post. A few weeks ago, one of those friends threw a party whose main attraction was a 35 x 15 foot long Scooby Doo Mystery Van shaped inflatable water bounce house. Yes you read that right. There was also a fire pit, the kind you can make s'mores on. So i figured the only appropriate thing to do would be to make S'mores Cupcakes... with some Scooby Doo in 'em!

I got the basic recipe from here, but made some changes. The first being was that i added a graham cracker crust to the bottom. To do that, i mashed up cinnamon graham crackers in a ziplock. Yeah pretty much the whole box, haha.

Mixed them with melted butter, mashed it up my hands....

And put it at the bottom of each of the cupcake liners. I think i might have overdone it a little, you only need a little! Mine was almost 1/3, but it should be less than 1/4.


Then on top of the graham cracked bottoms, i poured in chocolate cake batter. I also mixed in some more graham cracker bits as well as chocolate chips into the batter.


After those were baked and cooled, i started making the marshmallow frosting. I did NOT add any milk to it, like the recipe called for. I did not want runny icing. I hate runny icing/frosting. Especially if i want to pipe it on pretty!I also added a stick of butter.


Ziplock bags rock. I will tell you why. Because you can use them instead of real piping bags. They're uber cheap, and you can throw them away. That's convenient because it sucks to wash out piping bags especially if you're making marshmallow frosting. After i made the frosting, it didn't look hard enough, and i was afraid it'd spread too easily so i shoved it in the freezer for about a minute. Then I used an 1M tip and frosted the tops of the cupcakes.

I stuck them in the fridge because it was super hot outside. For maybe 4-5 hours and the frosting actually set perfectly since i had to transport them an hour away in the heat anyways. Then i added the "scooby snacks".

No they are NOT dog cookies. lol. Keebler makes these delicious little cinnamon graham cracker cookies. (I found these at Safeway, but FoodMaxx sells them too.)


I also added more chocolate chips to the tops too. They didn't taste too bad either. haha. I mean i am pretty sure it gave a few people diabetes but whatever right?

I would like to note though, that if youre filling part of the cupcake liners with graham crackers an adding chips and graham crackers into the mix, you end up with a LOT of left over batter. In fact, i made 24 cupcakes (2 standard muffin pans) and then made 24 MINI cupcakes (1 mini cupcake pan) and still threw a little bit away. I had enough graham crackers to line them too. I just broke the cookies in half and called them Mini Scooby Snacks! I think i might have actually liked those more -- people were just popping the whole things in their mouths!


I also had enough frosting for them all. So really, the recipe will yield a CRAPLOAD of cupcakes lol.

Hopefully, the next post will be me raving about how my first try at baking from scratch went really well. :)

xoxo,
Anna

1 comment: